It is now September and with that comes a mountain of marvelous things. For many of us those things include cool, fresh air to breath in – skateboarding with hoodies on – bonfires with good friends – snowboard rail jams – camping without the bugs and sunscreen – and of course, the yummy food that comes along with the temperature drop! It occurred to us that we should share some simple, delicious and nutritious recipes that we found for those of you that currently live off of energy drinks, beef jerky and potato chips.
We came to the conclusion that the best recipes during this chilly season need to revolve around sandwiches – grilled sandwiches to be exact! So we looked far and wide to find some of the best tasting grilled cheese sandwich recipes around. The cheese, and veggies in these sammy’s will provide you with the protein and nutrients you will need to recharge your batteries for your next skate sesh, longboard run, snowboard rail jam, or camping adventure. So next time you are at the store skip past those Monster drinks and greasy chips and grab some hearty, whole grain bread, cheese, veggies and remember what it’s like to eat an actual meal that is so tasteful and that brings you back to being a kid.
- 4 ounce(s) shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup(s) shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup(s) finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup(s) prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon(s) chopped pickled jalapeño pepper
- 8 slice(s) whole-wheat bread
- Have four 15-ounce cans and a medium skillet (not nonstick) ready by the stove.
- Combine Cheddar, zucchini, carrot, onion, salsa and jalapeno (if using) in a medium bowl. Divide among 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining bread.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 panini in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with the cans. Cook the panini until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining panini.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 slices Cheddar
- 1/8 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small avocado, thinly sliced
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Form a sandwich with the bread, cheese, onion, and avocado.
- Cook the sandwich, covered, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
3. Grilled Cheese Pizza Sandwich
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
5. Melt butter in skillet over medium to medium-high heat.